Independent Principal Consultant
Keith has been involved in the water treatment industry since 1978, after completing a Bachelors’ degree in Environmental Science at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. Subsequently he worked in a wide range of industrial, commercial and educational facilities throughout the United States and in several foreign countries over the years to help solve water related problems. Keith has sold water treatment programs directly to end users, managed product lines, and was the Vice president of Product Technology for a regional water treatment company. Since becoming a consultant in 2011, Keith has audited the performance of water treatment suppliers; developed and helped manage specifications and proposal reviews for HVAC systems; performed risk analyses; wrote Water Management Plans; performed sampling for Legionella and other bacterial organisms in cooling water systems; performed failure analyses of piping, molds and other metallic components which contact cooling water; and written bid specifications and reviewed bids for major higher education campuses.
Do you have a complex water treatment problem, or are you looking for an experienced water treatment consultant to provide independent advice? Feel free to contact AFA for a free initial consultation. If you would like a PDF version of one our consultant’s resumes, please contact us via email or phone.
Email us at email@example.com or call us at (630) 364-3965
- Directed field water treatment program applications, monitoring and servicing a variety of industries including primary metals, chemicals, oil refining, food processing, biofuels, educational, commercial, automotive, injection molding, etc.
- Managed product development from concept to finished goods, including life cycle management.
- Created marketing and training materials for target industries (food processing, refineries, ethanol production, automotive powertrain, etc.).
- Microbiological monitoring and reporting for control of Microbially Influenced Corrosion (MIC) and pathogen control.
- Performance auditing in large commercial building HVAC systems in major metropolitan centers.
- Product development to address customer needs (biocides, cooling water treatment, wastewater, etc.).
- Generate written bid specifications, proposals, technical models and presentation materials.
- Provided consulting services to Dartmouth College, Bowling Green State University, Nestle Waters, and others.
- “Introduction to Bacteriology,” EMLab P&K – April, 2016, Certificate of Completion
- “Sampling Water Systems to validate legionella control,” HC INFO – March, 2016, Certificate of Completion
- French Creek Software “Operation, Theory & Modeling Workshop,” French Creek Software – December, 2013
- Indiana University Kelley School of Business, Bloomington, IN, Ashland Chemical Marketing Program Executive Education – January, 1999
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, Strategic Marketing Planning Executive Seminar– March, 1997
- University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, Graduate student in Civil & Environmental Engineering – 1982 to 1985
- Betz Laboratories, Inc., internal training programs on Boiler Water Treatment and Cooling Water treatment – 1978
- Miami University, Oxford, Ohio, B. Phil. In Interdisciplinary Studies – 1978
- Arthur Freedman Associates, Inc., Dyer, IN, Independent Principal Consultant – November 2018 to present.
- Keith M. Johnson Consulting, Inc., Grand Rapids, MI, Principal Consultant – October 2011 to present.
- Arthur Freedman Associates, Inc., Naperville, IL, Independent Principal Consultant – October 2011 to July 2014.
- Dubois Chemicals, Inc., Sharonville, OH, Water Treatment R&D Team Leader – May 2011 to October 2011.
- Mitco, Inc., Grand Rapids, MI, VP Product Technology; Director of Product Technology; Wastewater Product Manager – 1999 to 2011 (acquired by DuBois Chemicals).
- Ashland Chemical, Drew Industrial Division, Boonton, NJ, Marketing Manager; Boiler Water Product Manager; Wastewater Product Manager; Cooling Water Product Specialist – 1990 to 1999.
- Olin Water Services, Overland Park, KS, Cooling Water Product Manager – 1988 to 1990 (acquired by Ashland)
- Wright Chemical, Chicago, IL, Product Engineer – 1985 to 1988
- Betz Laboratories, Inc., Trevose, PA, Technical Sales Representative; Midwest Regional Travelab Operator – 1978 to 1982
- Association of Water Technologies (AWT), Cooling Subcommittee Co-chair – 2013 to 2017.
- Water Environment Federation (WEF)
- “A Molybdate Update – Effective, Economical Programs” (TP-87-10), Philip R. Engelhardt, Keith M. Johnson & Barry A. Metz, Wright Chemical Corporation Presented at the Cooling Tower Institute annual meeting, 1987.
- “Diagnosing White Rust Corrosion in Cooling Tower Systems” (Technical Paper 90361), K.M. Johnson, J.B. Mihelic, Presented at the National Association of Corrosion Engineers (NACE) annual meeting, 1987.
- “Update on White Rust Corrosion and Control” (TP91-14), Keith M. Johnson and Joseph B. Mihelic, Drew Industrial Division Presented at the Cooling Tower Institute annual meeting, 1991.
- “Polymer Use in Water and Waste Treatment” (Chapter 16), Principles of Industrial Water Treatment, 11th Edition, Drew Industrial Division, Ashland Chemical Company, 1994.
- “The Role of Polymers in Separation of Solids from Liquids” Keith M. Johnson, Industrial Water Treatment, Volume 28 Number 6 – November/December 1996.