As a Principal Consultant with Arthur Freedman Associates, Inc. from January 2006 to present, Mr. Soost provides professional services for auditing, testing and performance reviews of chemical vendor water treatment programs, trouble-shooting cooling and boiler water applications and treatment problems, facilities water management studies and permitting, and management plans for potable water, process waters, cooling and heating systems, steam generation, wastewater treatment and reuse, and wastewater disposal.
He has over 54 years experience in the water treatment and environmental engineering fields providing the background needed to conduct a wide range of problem solving, economic analysis, treatment program monitoring and supervision, conceptual design and regulatory compliance for commercial, industrial, municipal and engineering clients. His services have included Expert Witness and consultation for water treatment and related operations of cooling towers, open recirculating and closed loop cooling water systems, and steam generation and related feedwater and condensate systems.
Do you have a complex water treatment problem, or are you looking for an experienced water treatment consultant to provide independent advice? Feel free to contact AFA for a free initial consultation. If you would like a PDF version of one our consultant’s resumes, please contact us via email or phone.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (630) 364-3965
Mr. Soost’s diversified experience with water treatment processes and application of specialty chemicals for effective operation of utility systems in commercial, industrial and municipal facilities includes:
- Sales and field service of specialty chemicals for operation of potable and process water supplies, cooling and heating systems, steam generation and wastewater systems in commercial and industrial facilities. Service activities included monitoring of customers’ systems, operator training, problem identification, and problem solving.
- In-depth facility surveys of water systems from inlet to outlet, laboratory and pilot scale treatability and water reuse studies, economic assessments of treatment alternatives, and water management plans to maintain cost effective facility operations while maintaining environmental regulatory compliance. Studies and plans were developed for a wide range of commercial buildings and industrial facilities including chemical, refining, steel, utility, mining, textile, meat processing, food preparation, metal finishing, automotive, and general manufacturing plants of almost all types.
- Specialty water treatment chemical formulations for potable water, cooling and heating systems, air washers, process waters, and steam generation. Marketing and application of these formulations, over 30 different biocide chemistries, and an extensive line of coagulation and flocculation polymers for waste treatment.
- B.S. 1962 – The Pennsylvania State University – Chemical Engineering
- CWT – Certified Water Technologist; Certificate No. 1-0042, Association of Water Technologies.
- From 1988 through 2005. Mr. Soost worked for Eastern Technologies, Inc., a manufacturer of specialty chemical formulations and technical support services for a wide range of water, wastewater, and fuel treatment applications.
- From 1998 through 2005, Mr. Soost was Vice President of Marketing & Engineering. In this position, he was responsible for developing new ETI partner companies, and for maintenance and development of ETI’s chemical product lines, literature and support documents. He provided ETI distributors and their end-use customers with technical and product application guidance for effective treatment performance and compliance with applicable OSHA and EPA regulations including State NPDES and local POTW permits. From 1989 to 1998 Mr. Soost was Technical Director at ETI, and in this position, his responsibilities and duties included:
- Management of all water treatment chemical product lines, evaluation of product performance, and preparation of product literature, product technical application documents, and water treatment industry training documents.
- Supervision of compliance with applicable regulatory agency requirements including OSHA, EPA, ANSI/NSF, FDA, USDA, and State pesticide laws.
- Technical assistance to optimize water supply, potable water, commercial/industrial water treatment and waste treatment programs.
- Assistance to end-use customers with water treatment program performance and compliance with applicable OSHA and EPA regulations including State NPDES and local POTW permits.
- From 1982 through 1988, Mr. Soost worked for Scholler, Inc., a manufacturer and supplier of textile processing chemicals and commercial/industrial water treatment specialties and services. As Regional Sales Manager, and later as Vice President, Water Treatment Services, Mr. Soost was responsible for sales, technical and business management of the water treatment division.
- In 1968, Mr. Soost joined the Consulting Services Division of Betz Laboratories, Inc. as a Project Engineer responsible for process engineering and operational consultating onwater supply, process and utility waters, waste disposal and process water reuse projects. This division became known as Betz Environmental Engineers, and then as BCM Engineers. Mr. Soost became Regional Sales Manager and later Assistant Vice President, responsible for marketing and managing professional environmental testing and engineering services to industrial clients.
- From 1963 to 1968, Mr. Soost was with Calgon Corporation, as a Field Service Engineer for boiler, cooling, and potable water treatment programs, and then an Assistant Project Engineer in their Process and Wastewater Consulting Services Division.
- From 1962 to 1963, Mr. Soost was in a production management training program with US Steel Corporation, Clairton Works.
- Chemical and Physical Treatments to Remove Oil Below 50 mg/l: Concepts and Experiences. Technical Paper initially presented to American Society of Lubrication Engineers, May 1972.
- The Use of Glutaraldehyde/DBNPA Combination Treatment Program for Effective Control of Microbial Growth in Cooling Water Systems. Paper presented at NACE International, Corrosion 2002, by G. A. Ganzer, M. Freid, and J. Summerfield of The Dow Chemical Company and J. Soost and G. Reggiani of Eastern Technologies, Inc.
- Bacteria Enumeration: Field Data and Comparison of Testing Methods. Paper presented at Association of Water Technologies Annual Convention, September 2016 by Amanda Meitz, Biosolutions, LLC, and by Walt Tyler and Jack Soost from Arthur Freedman Associates, Inc.
- NACE International (formerly National Association of Corrosion Engineers), Member since 1985.
- American Water Works Association (AWWA), Member since 1985.
- Association of Water Technologies (AWT), Chair and Co-Chair of the Cooling Water Technical Committee 2005-2013; October 2010 recipient of the Ray Baum Memorial Award as Water Technologist of the Year. Member since 1985.
- American Chemical Society (ACS). Member since 1990.
- Cooling Tower Institute (CTI). Member 1988 to 1995.
- American Association of Textile Chemists and Colorists (AATCC). Member 1983 to October 2003. Community Service:
- East Cocalico Township Water and Sewer Authority, Former Vice Chairman and 12 year Board Member – February 1993 thru December 2005.
- St. James Episcopal Church, Lancaster, PA. Member Building and Grounds Committee, 2006 to present.
- The Pennsylvania Academy of Music, Lancaster, PA – Board of Trustees July 2003 to present.
- Lions Club of East Cocalico, Reamstown, PA and Lancaster City, PA. Member since 1995
- Denver-Adamstown Rotary Club. Founding Member 1990 to 1995.
- Doylestown Family YMCA – Board of Directors January 1983 to December 1988.