Bob has 53 years of domestic and international field service and troubleshooting experience with several major national water treatment companies, involving boiler and cooling water, chemical cleaning, waste water treatment, process chemical treatment, paper chemicals treatment, oil production chemicals, and municipal water preparation.
Bob’s specialties include industrial cooling and boiler water, water preparation and waste water treatment, including acid mine drainage. Bob has a special talent for solving difficult problems, and for working together with vendors and facility personnel to optimize water system operations.
Do you have a complex water treatment problem, or are you looking for an experienced water treatment consultant to provide independent advice? Feel free to contact AFA for a free initial consultation. If you would like a PDF version of one our consultant’s resumes, please contact us via email or phone.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (630) 364-3965
Mr. Cunningham’s extensive experience in water management services includes:
- Chevron, El Segundo Refinery, Isomax Division:
1982-1994, designed and serviced the water treatment program for the Isomax waste heat boilers and cooling system. Corrected problems left by previous vendor and resolved issues caused by flow-assisted corrosion, fatigue corrosion and related issues.
- Other refinery & petrochemical systems:
Metallurgy, materials selection and equipment design problems.
Problems exaggerated due to process contamination.
Waste water treatment systems, including API separators, DAF systems, IAF systems, and biological treatment plants.
Recovery of waste water as cooling tower make up.
Refinery and petrochemical process corrosion and deposition.
- Electric utility steam systems:
Economizer, boiler, and super heater deposit and corrosion problems.
Unusual condensate corrosion problems.
Steam purity problems.
Velocity and multiple phase flow-accelerated corrosion phenomena.
- Iron, steel, & basic metals systems: Work included low flow, high heat flux applications, blast furnace and continuous caster systems.
- HVAC systems in commercial and institutional buildings:
Corrosion, deposition, and biological problems. Issues involving improper equipment design and materials selection.
- Oil production systems, including steam floods:
Dissolved air flotation systems. Clarification and filtration processes. Boiler feedwater preparation. Cooling and wastewater applications.
- Food processing:
Projects involved boiler, cooling and wastewater processing.
- Litigation and legislative support across all industries.
- Arthur Freedman Associates, Inc., Dyer, IN. Principal Consultant (Contractor)
- Chemisis, Inc., San Diego, CA. President and Chairman.
- Aqua Serv Engineers, Los Angeles, CA. Vice President, Industrial Group
- Zimmite Corporation, Cleveland, OH. Vice President, Marketing & Sales
- Baltimore Aircoil Co., Jessup, MD. Chemicals Marketing Manager
- Calgon Corporation, Pittsburgh, PA. R&D Group Manager, Corrosion Inhibitors
- Arco Performance & Betz Entec. District Manager and Area Manager
- Betz Entec & Olin. District Representative
- Calgon Corporation, Pittsburgh, PA. Product Manager, Cooling Water Treatment Chemicals
- Calgon Corporation, Pittsburgh, PA. Assistant Product Manager, Boiler Water Treatment Chemicals
- Pittsburgh Plate Glass Co., Springdale, PA. Laboratory Technician, Raw Materials Lab
- B.S. in Chemistry – University of Pittsburgh, 1964
- MBA – University of Pittsburgh, 1972
- Post graduate work in Chemistry, University of Pittsburgh
- Post graduate work in Business Administration, George Washington University
- California Registered Professional Corrosion Engineer
- Certified Corrosion Specialist, The National Association of Corrosion Engineers (NACE)
- Certified – USDC/NOAA/FDA joint HACCP Quality Management Program Implementation Specialist
- Cooling Tower Institute, formerly President, Vice President, Chairman of the Water Treatment Committee and member of Board of Directors.
- Association of Water Technologies, former member of Board of Directors.
- National Association of Corrosion Engineers (NACE), formerly Vice Chairman, Chairman-Elect of Committee T-7A, Corrosion by Cooling Water, and National Symposium Chairman.
- International Water Conference, Advisory Board, recipient of the IWC Award of Merit, 2001.
- ASME, member of Thermal Research Committee, Sub-Committee on Industrial Boiler Chemistry.
- AISE, member
- “The Reactions of Enamines with Activated Butadienes – A One Step Synthesis of Benzenes”, October 1962, the Journal of Organic Chemistry, S. Danishefsky & R. Cunningham
- “A History of Life’s Origin”, Feb., 1963, The University Press, The University of Pittsburgh, R. J. Cunningham
- “Twenty Years Progress in the Treatment of Recirculating Cooling Water Systems”, Robert J. Cunningham, Calgon Corp., Pittsburgh, PA., Presented during the 6th Annual NACE Liberty Bell Corrosion Course, Drexel Institute of Technology, Philadelphia, P.A., Sept., 17, 1968.
- “A Critical Re-evaluation of Oilfield Stream Generator Feedwater Chemical/Physical Treatment”, R.J. Cunningham, J. J. Shuck, & G. B. Eaton, Arco Performance Chemical Co., Inc., Presented at the South Central Regional Meeting, National Association of Corrosion Engineers, Tulsa, Oklahoma, October, 1981
- “Maximizing Cooling Tower Cycles of Concentration”, R. J. Cunningham, Cooling Tower Institute, Presented at the 1995 Cooling Tower Institute Annual Meeting, Fort Worth, Texas, February 1995
- “Proper Alkalinity Control – A Key Factor in Long Term Successful Operation Of A High Pressure Refinery Waste Heat Boiler”, R.J. Cunningham, Arthur Freedman Associates, Inc., and C.H. Spurrell, Chevron Products Co., Presented at NACE Corrosion 2007, March, 2007, Nashville, TN, Paper #07454
- “What is the Best Treatment For My Tower?”, R. J. Cunningham, Cooling Tower Institute, TP-10-10, Presented at the 2010 CTI Annual Meeting, Houston, Texas, February 2010
- “Chemical or Non-chemical Water Treatment – What is The Best Method for My System?”, Association of Facilities Engineers, Silicon Valley Chapter Presentation, Santa Clara, CA, May 24, 2012
- “New Legionella Standards: No Good Deed Goes Unpunished”, Janet E. Stout, Ph.D., Director, Special Pathogens Laboratory; Arthur J. Freedman, Ph.D., President, Arthur Freedman Associates, Inc.; & Robert J. Cunningham, PE, Arthur Freedman Associates, Inc. Presented at the International Water Conference, Nov., 2012, San Antonio, TX – IWC-12-03
- “Should I Use a Chemical Treatment Program for My Tower, Or A Physical Device?”, R. J. Cunningham, Cooling Tower Institute, TP13-02, Presented at the 2013 Cooling Tower Institute Annual Meeting, Corpus Christi, Texas, February, 2013
- “Premature Failure of Open and Closed Recirculating Cooling Water and Fire Water System Piping and Equipment – Are You Responsible?”, R. J. Cunningham, Cooling Tower Institute, Presented at the 2014 Cooling Tower Institute Annual Meeting, Houston, Texas, February, 2014
- “Accelerated Corrosion Associated With Building Start-up and Early Occupancy”, Presented at the November 2014 ASHRAE Sacramento Valley Chapter Meeting, R.J. Cunningham, Principal Consultant, Arthur Freedman Associates, Inc.
- “Failure of Building Water Systems: How to Plan for Success and Manage Liability”, Presented at the February 2017 Cooling Technology Institute meeting, New Orleans; LA, Adam Green, Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz, PC; Robert J. Cunningham, Arthur Freedman Associates, Inc.
- “Failure of Water Handling Systems & Managing the Resulting Liability”, Presented at the September 2017 Annual Meeting of the Association of Water Technologists, Grand Rapids, MI; Adam Green, Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz, PC; Robert J. Cunningham, P.E., International Water Consultants, Inc.
- “A Landmark Legionella Lawsuit: A Case Study Highlighting the Legal, Mechanical, and Microbiological Factors”, Presented at the February 2018 Cooling Technology Institute meeting, Houston, TX; Adam Green & Amy Champagne, Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz, PC; Robert J. Cunningham, P.E. International Water Consultants, Inc.
- Former consultant to United States Environmental Protection Agency